Whatcott conference: Sexuality & religious freedom censored!

Get togethers, protests, pickets, activism, discuss it here!

Whatcott conference: Sexuality & religious freedom censored!

Postby Bill Whatcott » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:09 am

Christian teaching on God's design for His gift of sexuality is increasingly being equated with criminal or deviant behaviour
in an increasingly secular and conformist Canadian culture

Whatcott loses venue for conference
THE LEADER-POST
OCTOBER 16, 2014
http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Whatcott ... story.html

REGINA — A conference featuring one well-known anti-gay activist and organized by another is looking for a new venue after the original host pulled out upon hearing more about the event.

Bill Whatcott planned to hold a conference at Lee Funeral Home in Regina on Oct. 28 to discuss Christian views of sexuality.

But after learning more about the conference, Greg Kulak, general manager of the funeral home, decided it would not be happening.

“They will not be using our facility,” said Kulak. “This doesn’t lend with our core values.”

Kulak explained Wednesday he was under the impression that the event was a part of bimonthly meetings held by the St. Pius X Catholic Church. “I thought it was basically Latin mass.”

Kulak received calls about the conference from concerned residents who received a flyer in the mail advertising the event.

The conference ― Bringing the Light of Christ to Our Culture ― was to feature Peter LaBarbera, president of the U.S.-based Americans for Truth About Homosexuality. LaBarbera ran into problems during his last visit to Saskatchewan.

On April 14, LaBarbera and Whatcott were arrested on the University of Regina campus allegedly for refusing to leave when instructed by campus security to do so. Whatcott and LaBarbera set up an anti-abortion display and were handing out anti-LGBT literature.

Whatcott and LaBarbera stand trial on Oct. 30 in Regina charged with mischief.

Whatcott, executive director of Christian Truth Activists and the conference’s organizer, said he is talking to a lawyer about the funeral home’s cancellation, alleging a breach of contract. Despite the setback, he insists the conference will go ahead.

“I am looking for (an) alternative venue. And, ultimately, I’ll just trust God. If I get a place, I’ll get it. And if I don’t get it, it’ll be on Lee’s sidewalk. We’ll just hold the conference there or in his parking lot and he can arrest us and take us out,” Whatcott said.

“I haven’t given up. I was a little surprised that (Kulak) bailed.”

Also scheduled to speak at the conference was Jeffrey Stefaniuk, a Ukrainian Catholic priest and Susan Takata, a Christian missionary.

“My take on events in Canada is (that) Christians are, sort of, maligned and under siege,” said Whatcott. “And, certainly my belief, and what I want with the speakers that I’ve chosen is to bring a message that as Christians we do have something to offer to the public square. And, we should not be afraid, in these times, to bring our point of view forward.”

Days before the U of R incident, LaBarbera spoke at the Saskatchewan Pro-Life convention on April 11 and 12 in Weyburn. The event was met by protesters and a petition with hundreds of signatures intended to stop LaBarbera from speaking. LaBarbera was initially denied entry into Canada over concerns that he was spreading hate speech. But he won an appeal and agreed to leave the country by April 17.

In 2005, the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission found Whatcott guilty of inciting hatred against homosexuals in pamphlets he distributed to homes in Regina and Saskatoon in 2001 and 2002. That decision was upheld by the Supreme Court of Canada on Feb. 27, 2013, the Supreme Court of Canada upheld the SHRC’s decision.

© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Whatcott conference on sexuality & religious freedom cen

Postby Bill Whatcott » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:01 am

Dear Friends,

For the sake of truth I would like to inform my readers this statement by Kulak is not true:

"Kulak explained Wednesday he was under the impression that the event was a part of bimonthly meetings held by the St. Pius X Catholic Church. “I thought it was basically Latin mass.”

In actual fact I gave Greg Kulak a copy of the flyer I distributed throughout Regina and he read it before taking $395.00 off my Mastercard for the conference

You can see the flyer here and it is quite clear we were a conference on sexuality and religious freedom from a Christian perspective, not a Latin mass:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10239

"Kulak received calls about the conference from concerned residents who received a flyer in the mail advertising the event."

Yup that is all it took for a fellow Christian to cave and then bear false witness in the media and in the process make those who are anti-Christian and anti-free-speech very happy..... sad1

(Here is one group that is happy that Lee has terminated our meeting https://www.facebook.com/groups/intolerancefreeweyburn/ The Leader Post Reporter seemed pleased the conference was shut down too)

Of course God is still in control and His Church will still bear witness to what is true. I just ask for prayers. When Christians do this I find it discouraging.......

To call Lees and call on Greg to apologize for selling out Whatcott, simply to avoid some negative publicity and crank calls from leftist censors and to either reinstate the conference or compensate Whatcott for all his lost advertising, air tickets and lost wages for his speakers who are coming two days before Bill's trial because they were supposed to speak at the venue I rented for them, and the $395 hall and catering deposit please call:

Lee Funeral Home and Crematorium
Manager: Greg Kulak
3101 Dewdney Ave
Regina, Saskatchewan S4T 0Y5
Phone: (306) 757-8645
Fax: (306) 569-6061
Email: loc3861@sci-us.com

"let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation." James 5:12

“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." Exodus 20:16

"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”
Deuteronomy 31:6
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bill Whatcott » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:15 am

Dear Friends,

I thought I had the Delta, but they read the Leader Post article today and cancelled our event too:

Dear Mr. Whatcott:

Please be advised that we will not be proceeding with your event planned for our facility on October 28th. The space has been cancelled.

Doreen

Doreen Smith | Conference Services Manager
Delta Regina
Tel: 306.565.1667 | Fax: 306.359.9040 | dsmith@fortisproperties.com
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bill Whatcott » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:23 am

Sadly, I had some rather positive responses from the community. A Sudanese Pastor who experienced persecution first hand by Islamic radicals in Sudan and who expressed concern about the state of religious freedom and morality in Canada said he was going to invite his congregation to attend and said he was definitely attending himself. A middle aged Catholic woman who supports the false concept of homosexual marriage did not agree with me, but she wanted to come and hear the speakers for herself and maybe ask some questions after the presentations.

I tried my best to have a venue for my speakers, but it might be that homofascism will win for the time being. My sense is too many Christians are either too scared or apathetic to defend the right to articulate what God's Word teaches about our sexuality in the public square......

If someone else out there values hearing these people speak and knows where we can rent a room by all means step forward. I would rather not give in to this censorship. My speakers tickets are already paid for and they are coming to speak and Susan and Father Jeffrey intend on supporting Peter and I at our trial on October 30th. On the other hand I don't think I can get this conference resurrected by myself. Pray and make a phone call if you know a church that has space and maybe a Pastor who is not too compromised by fear and self interest. Maybe another hotel where there is a manager that actually believes in the once sacred right to make arguments freely. Or maybe no one will respond and in that case my conscience is clear and this will be canceled. Maybe Canada has come to a place where a conference on sexuality and religious freedom from a conservative Christian perspective is no longer permissible or at least no one who could, is willing to help make it happen.

The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him, and he makes known to them his covenant. My eyes are ever toward the Lord, for he will pluck my feet out of the net.
Psalm 25:14-15
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Whatcott conference: Sexuality & religious freedom censo

Postby RevSpitz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:09 am

Is it possible to cross the boarder? There hopefully are at least some churches here that would let you use their fellowship halls.
RevSpitz
FNA Disciple
FNA Disciple

Postby Doc Notgay » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:28 am

This is no surprise to any activist in Canada. Canada is home to the 'talk of bravery' and 'walk of the cowardly.'
If it wasn't for people like Bill there wouldn't be any free voice in Canada.
If only journalists knew what cowards they are. deathhand
Doc Notgay
FNA Disciple
FNA Disciple

Postby SaintNobody » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:56 am

Maybe what you need to own your own venue.

A place of your own to host meetings.

We won't win the culture war without infrastructure.

Just a thought.
SaintNobody
FNA Disciple
FNA Disciple

Postby Bill Whatcott » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:58 pm

SaintNobody wrote:Maybe what you need to own your own venue.

A place of your own to host meetings.

We won't win the culture war without infrastructure.

Just a thought.

Thank you for the thought and indeed I welcome all suggestions.

The idea you have is rather good, except the budget needed to buy property in SE Saskatchewan is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars range. If I had that kind of money I would literally buy my own hall right now. The reality is my ministry budget is in the hundreds of dollars range and there is not anyone that I know of who wants to donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to my cause right now, but it is a nice thought...... :daydreaming:

In the mean time my budget will be flyers, picket signs, a little gas, and I have to trust God for spaces and appeal to churches and businesses to rent me space for venues like this. God probably intends it to be that way. His Son had no where to lay his head during His preaching rounds, yet His Gospel has literally transformed the world......

I got a text from Father Stefaniuk that he is asking around. Pray for him as he seeks out a church that might be willing to host this event. Even though the opposition towards this event and the closed venues has me feeling blue right now, I am still trusting God. If He wants Susan's testimony of a changed life from a former transgender (allegedly born that way) and the truthful insights of Father Jeffrey and Peter LaBarbera to be shared in Regina, He will provide........

"Do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:31-33 Jesus1
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ben Kenobi » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:21 pm

They should refund your money. Were you able to cancel the charges? That is what I would try to do. I've been successful in the past with recalcitrant vendors in convincing my bank in cancelling the charges.

That would be my first suggestion.

Second suggestion would be to hold it in a private venue like someone's home. I don't know how many folks you expected would attend. Have it out on a patio or whatnot.
Ben Kenobi

Postby Doc Notgay » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:45 am

Have you tried one of our Catholic Church basements? It would be interesting to see the response. :chin:
Doc Notgay
FNA Disciple
FNA Disciple

Postby Bill Whatcott » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:33 am

Doc Notgay wrote:Have you tried one of our Catholic Church basements? It would be interesting to see the response. :chin:

We are trying the Regina Ukrainian Catholic eparchy. They are more conservative than the Regina Catholic diocese, which I would say is loaded with pro-homosexuals in their office. In fact the Regina diocese was hostile to Peter LaBarbera last April when he first came to speak. Please pray for God to move in the heart of the Ukrainian Catholic church to give us a speaking venue and then for me to effectively advertise this again......
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Gatherings and Activism